Granite Place

History

In 1925 the Granite Club Corporation purchased lands at St. Clair Avenue West near Yonge Street to accommodate a growing membership, the changing face of recreational activities and conversion from a gentlemen's club to a family club. The new Granite Club had  an elegant dining room, ballroom, seven badminton courts, several five pin bowling lanes, a swimming pool and two squash courts in addition to curling, skating, lawn bowling and tennis. In 1929, the Club held its first Skating Carnival, which later transformed into an international world figure skating competition.

 

In 1972 the Granite Club moved to a 22 acre site on Bayview Avenue bordering the Don Valley. The St. Clair Avenue West property was sold to Four Seasons Properties. Boris Zerafa of Webb Zerafa Menkes Housden Partnership Architects was engaged by the  new owners to design a condominium building. Mr. Zerafa was a recipient of national and international architectural awards. He was also lead architect and designer of the adjacent Desjardins building (1971) and subsequently Esso Place (1984).

 

The 63 St. Clair Avenue West condominium was completed in 1979, being one of the first Toronto luxury condominiums. Isadore Sharp, President  of Four Seasons Hotels and  Resorts, and his interior designer wife Rosalie Wise Sharp, supervised construction to their exacting standards. Mrs. Sharp selected the Granite Place furnishings and appointments  from distinguished antique dealer Stanley Wagman.

 

The 61 St. Clair Avenue West building, glass atrium, swimming pool pavilion,  exercise room and change rooms were completed in 1981. Renowned landscape architect Lois Lister designed the gardens. In 1981, the floor plans for the 04 and 08 units of Building 61 received the Design Excellence Award from the Ontario Association of Architects.

 

Granite Place has an unobstructed view to the south of historic St. Michael 's Catholic Cemetery and the Toronto waterfront. This view never changes, only the Toronto skyline. The Granite Place parkette is one of the most tranquil, serene and private oases in mid-town Toronto.

 

In 2012, Toronto Life magazine designated Granite Place one of the five best resale condominiums in mid-town Toronto. Granite Place received this prestigious designation due to the resale per square foot price, amenities, staff services, social programs including a book club and in-house yoga and aqua fitness classes, unit design, large balconies, and unobstructed views.

 

There is a separate Condominium Corporation for each building with a Board of Directors. The two Boards meet together to deal with matters involving both Corporations. The properties are managed by Crossbridge Condominium Services Ltd. with full-time, on-site management. Maintenance fees at Granite Place are average for mid-town Toronto, taking  into consideration the age of Granite Place and the outstanding services and amenities available.